You see a large number of small ant-like bugs with wings. But, are they ants? Both ants and termites swarm, and often times, these winged creatures are confused with one another. So, here’s a quick reference guide to know the difference. It is important to know which pest you have because prevention and treatment of each one is different.
- Ants have a narrow, constricted waist while termites have rectangular shaped bodies with no constrictions.
- Ants have bent antennae while termites have straight, beaded antennae.
- Winged ants will have a shorter hind wing and longer front wing while termites have wings of equal length.
- Ants are usually dark in color while termites are generally light in color.
- Ants will eat just about anything while termites only eat wood, including paper products.