The weather has started to get a bit chilly at night and pretty soon, it will be winter! If you are anything like me you are starting to dream of cold winter nights, curled up on the couch with a cup of hot cocoa and a blazing fire. I’m not sure there is anything better than cuddling under a blanket with my family, trying to get warm! However, we aren’t the only ones trying to seek shelter from the cold and bitter winds. The warmth of our homes look so inviting to pests, like cockroaches and rodents. Here are a few preventative measures we can take to keep our homes pest free this winter.
- Seal all cracks and holes around your home. Did you know rodents can squeeze through very small openings? Mice can squeeze through an opening the size of a dime and rats, through a quarter sized hole!
- Keep plants, trees and bushes well trimmed and away from your house. Mulch and firewood piles are great place for pests to hide, try and keep these at least 2 feet away from your home. Check for pests before bringing firewood into your home.
- Sanitation is important! Don’t leave dirty dishes lying around. Sweep up crumbs off the floor. Pick up pet food and store it away for the night.
- Keep all trash stored in cans with lids on them.
- Clean up your clutter! If you have 20 years worth of clutter piling up in your garage or attic, it’s time to clean it out! Try to store boxes off the ground and away from pests. When bringing storage boxes into your home, check to make sure no unwanted visitors are hitching a ride inside.
THESE SIMPLE STEPS CAN HELP KEEP YOUR HOME PEST FREE THIS WINTER.
IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ANY PROBLEMS WITH RODENTS OR INSECTS, PLEASE GIVE US A CALL FOR YOUR FREE INSPECTION!